Friday, June 5, 2015

Ubuntu on a Dell Latitude e6320

About a year and a half ago I received a Dell Latitude e6320. Initially it had Windows 7 but I eventually put Ubuntu Linux on it. I've been running Ubuntu on it for over a year now and thought I would share my experience for anyone else looking to pickup this laptop for running Ubuntu as it is appearing on Woot and many other places as refurbished for
around $200.

My system was configured with the Core i5-2520M, 3 cell battery, broadcom wireless, 250GB hard drive and 8 GB of memory. The machine has always performed well and the 8 GB of memory is likely overkill for my day to day needs. Now I have a 6 cell battery and Atheros wireless card, more on that later, and a Samsung 850 SSD.

After first installing Ubuntu on it, which was 13.10 at the time, everything worked out of the box. The graphics is the Intel Sandy Bridge graphics with the i5 and has great Linux support. The touchpad works as expected and defaults to two finger scrolling, the touchpad disable switch worked as did the standby. The sound also worked fine without a hitch, but the audio jack port is the combine microphone/headphone, so you need an adapter for most headsets out there that aren't USB. The wireless card was from Broadcom and it worked out of the box during the install. Speedtests showed the card to perform perfectly fine as expected, but there was a problem as I came to learn later.

I was pleased with how well everything worked because my previous HP DV2 had numerous issues, some of which never got resolved. But after a few weeks, I began to notice an issue. The system sometimes failed to come out of standby. If it was a short period, it would work but not after 6 hours. The machine also would lock up while I used it periodically. I hoped after the upgrade to 14.04 the issue would go away, but it didn't. I thought it might be a overheating issue, but I ruled that out as times when it froze, it wasn't hot and the CPU temps were within normal operating range.

I eventually decided to check if it was the wireless. The laptop has a switch to disable all wireless devices and I found that when that was turned off, the laptop never froze and always came out of standby. I still had the Atheros chipset I bought for my HP DV2 to replace the Broadcom chip in it that performed sporadically so I grabbed it, put it into the Dell praying that the Dell didn't restrict the hardware. The Dell accepted the Atheros card and booted into Ubuntu without a hitch and connected to the wireless. I've not had the system freeze since.

The Dell e6320 has an older chipset compared to what is available now, but it still performs like a champ and works great with Linux. I've found everything works out of the box but if you have a Broadcom ship, be prepared to find an alternative. ThinkPenguin.com has chips that are 100% Linux compatible and its where I bought mine for the HP DV2 that I'm now using in the Dell e6320.

For $200 this laptop is great and once you add some memory if needed and change over to a SSD, the laptop is a great daily Linux driver that will suit the needs of most users. I use this machine now to develop Java applications and browse the web. It isn't flashy but it gets the job done and is a solid built machine.

7 comments:

Bödi said...

So, first comment after a year almost. ;]

Thanks for sharing your experience with the laptop and Linux on it. At the moment I am thinking Bout buying the Dell Latitude E6320 for my university stuff since my good old MacBook from 2006 is finally giving up on me. I can't really afford to buy a new Mac so this seems to be a good temporary solution at least. Maybe I will try and install Linux Mint 17 at first.

Unknown said...

I'm still using this laptop as my primary machine and it is still great. I highly recommend an SSD and 8GB in it to get the most out of it. When sitting next to a new laptop, you'll quickly notice that is LCD colors are very washed out in comparison, but coming from a 2006 Mac, I'm sure you're used to that.

I also have the docking station and 9 cell battery that help increase its battery life and usability at my desk. The dock is hooked up to two 1080p monitors and runs then just fine.

Linux Mint is a good choice though I don't like a few of their decisions like auto installing flash. I'm thinking for my next install of switching to Ubuntu Gnome as I'm getting bored with Unity.

I'm often running Eclipse, Atom, 10+ browser tabs, many terminals, a MySQL server and tomcat instance. Performs just fine for me.

Hope my info has been helpful. Best of luck with your new machine and move to Linux.

Bödi said...

Cool, sounds great! Thanks and I'll let you know if this will be the machine of choice. ;)

Unknown said...

Feel free to let me know what you choose regardless and how it works out.

From my experience, the enterprise grade laptops are always better than the consumer ones. They don't whitelist to allow only certain pci devices like wifi cards and are better designed better built.

Bödi said...

Hey there. Just wanted to let you know that I bought a 2nd hand Dell Latitude E6330. It also has 8 GB of RAM like yours but I didn't get an SSD (too expensive). After testing for a few days with Windows 7 I installed Linux Mint 17.3 and everything worked out of the box. I'm completely amazed by Linux and it's capabilities. Great system! And it's actually easier to adapt with Linux than with Windows coming from Mac OSX since OSX is also based on Unix.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences here!

gibsonherry said...

Happy to found this blog. I have some facts related to this blog and I would like to share with all its readers. Definitely it is going to help everyone and aware people with some more knowledgeable points.
HPE OfficeConnect 1420

M.J.Fergusson said...

Great article ☺️