Sunday, August 7, 2016

BLU R1 HD - 2 Weeks Later

I have been using the R1 HD from BLU now for over 2 weeks as my daily phone, and I wanted to share my experience with it. So, two weeks in, and I am still impressed with the build quality of this phone. It still feels great in the hand with the aluminum edging.

After the 2 weeks of usage, I am even more impressed with the phone. I have experience no funny lags when switching between applications, or when scrolling webpages or applications like Newsstand. Even Google Maps and navigation run great. Battery life last me a day easy with my usage. I typically end with over 50% left at the end of the day. As my daily driver, it functions just fine for everything I do.

One of the shortcoming of the phone was lack of NFC, which meant lack of ability to install Android Pay, which I had come to depend on for my loyalty cards like Lowes, Qdoba, Best Buy, AutoZone and CVS. I found Stocard, an app that allowed me to store all the cards into it solving my lack of Android Pay. One other feature I have missed is the wireless charging I had with the Nexus 6. Plugging it in is a step backwards, but it is no deal breaker by any means.

Another difference I notice is the screen colors. Coming from the Nexus 6, I notice the green is not nearly as vivid on the R1 HD. It isn't that the colors are bad, it is just majorly tuned different and it has been a noticeable change. The screen works well with its auto brightness as I have used it outside and was able to use the phone without issue.

At this point I am still missing the VoLTE and Band 12 support. The BLU website still shows the update will come shortly after the phone is released. In addition, I will also miss WiFi Calling that the BLU R1 HD lacks for when I travel to the boonies to my parents where no cell carrier has clean coverage.

I was able to successfully use the camera for a mobile check deposit. Have only taken one photo of my pet, so not much to go on there, but the camera functioned fine and the picture captured what I wanted, so it can at least cover the basics. It is obviously not going to stand up next to the current top phones, but it gets the job done for a fraction of the cost.

After 2 weeks with this phone, I can now say I will be sticking with this phone for the foreseeable future as it covers all my needs at this time, or will when the Band 12 update arrives.

No comments: