Saturday, November 18, 2006

Ubuntu 5.10 to 6.06

A couple weeks ago I decided to upgrade my distribution of Ubuntu. I have had it installed for almost a year now. I decided to just run the self upgrade instead of completely reinstalling. In the past this has always been somewhat of a problem. When completely switching out some of the core objects, its very easy for things to break. I decided though to go this route because I didn't feel like backing up my stuff to do a complete new install.

So, I started the upgrade process. I don't know how long it took because it ran overnight but surprisingly, it went well. I didn't lose any information and didn't lose any of my main programs. I noticed some programs went away, like AmaroK and Mplayer. But they were easy enough to bring back. Actually though, I didn't reinstall AmaroK, I have now switched to Rhythmbox. Its quite nice, and does just what I want.

The main reason that I wanted to upgrade was to get Firefox 1.5 so I could have better control over using tabs. I also wanted to install and try out XGL/Beryl.

I'm very happy with how smoothly things went. I never dreamed it would be this easy. Now they have Ubuntu 6.10 with Firefox 2.0. I want to make the switch again, but I've heard bad things from people that tried to upgrade. I'm going to do it though and soon, because I want to use the latest Nvidia drivers so I can hook up faster with Beryl and have an even better experience with a OpenGL desktop.

No comments: